Pages

Monday 26 March 2012

LOVE Manchester, HATE discrimination

I went to Manchester on Friday for my housemates 21st birthday and had an amazing time. It was the first time I’d visited the city, other than to catch a plane from the airport, and I loved it!

Unfortunately, we missed the Queens visit, but our trip was still eventful to say the least.

 View from our room - Strangeways Prison
I think I realised it was going to be an outing to remember, when we arrived at the hotel and found it was next door to Strangeways.

Yes, that’s right – the high security prison that’s full of Britain’s most dangerous criminals.  Armed with a pair of binoculars, a bag of jam sandwiches and an armchair I would have been happy spending the night playing a game of “where’s David Charlton?” But no, I was forced to go out and drink lots of alcohol … I have such terrible friends.

After escaping from a tramp that insisted on telling us about his love of eggs, we started the night off in Deansgate at some posh cocktail bars. We then got a taxi and headed off to Canal Street – Manchester’s gay area. This was far more up our street! I befriended a drag queen, danced like an ecstasy addict and even managed to pick up a McChicken sandwich on the way back to the hotel
 A very drunk me & a drag queen

The only downside to the night was when we were refused entry into G.A.Y nightclub, simply because weren’t regulars or homosexual.  I was, (and still am), both fuming and disappointed by this. I love the gay community, a lot of my closest friends are gay and it made me really mad because I’m sure the gay people inside the club wouldn’t have had problem with us being in there with them, even though we weren’t gay. I felt very discriminated against and angry that if I had been a gay person refused entry into a straight club there would have been uproar. It’s rules and attitudes like this that fuel homophobia! So wrong!

SORT IT OUT G.A.Y MANCHESTER!
G.A.Y nightclub in Manchester 

No comments:

Post a Comment